Virginia Safety and Virginia Emissions Inspections
Every car has to meet a standard. We’ll make sure yours does too. We offer both Virginia State Vehicle Safety Inspections and Virginia State Emissions Inspections at all of our convenient locations. We have extended hours at all of our locations so you can take care of your inspection when it works best for you. For shorter inspection wait times, we recommend getting your inspections performed in the middle of the month and in the middle of the week.
Virginia Safety Inspections
What is a Virginia State Safety Inspection?
In accordance with the standards set by the Commonwealth of Virginia, a state inspection is performed to check the safety equipment of your vehicle, such as turn signals, wiper blades, headlights, taillights and more to ensure that all equipment is functioning properly. A safety inspection is performed once every year.
Safety Standards are set by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Safety inspection cost is $20.
- Motorcycle safety inspection cost is $12.
- Due every year.
Takes about 25 minutes per vehicle (issues with a vehicle, like having difficulty removing a wheel, can add time).
- Did you know? Customers can reduce wait times by pre-approving up to $30 of minor repairs that we can do immediately while the vehicle is in the inspection bay, should they be needed.
If your car does not pass, a Virginia Tire & Auto sales associate will review the reasons with you.
- You will have 15 days to make repairs and have your car re-inspected for $1 at this location. The item(s) that did not pass the original state inspection will be re-inspected.
- If another issue is visible (possibly happening after the initial safety inspection, e.g., a mirror now hanging, or a cracked windshield) the car could fail the re-inspection.
- If you take your car somewhere else for re-inspection, you will have to pay the full amount and your car will be subject to a complete safety inspection once again.
Note: Virginia law prohibits any state inspections while your car is in line. So even if the reason it will not pass the inspection is plainly visible, your car still has to be pulled into the bay—the only place official Virginia safety inspections can take place.
Virginia Emissions Inspections and Testing
What is a Virginia State Emissions Inspection?
While you drive, your car emits carbon exhaust gas from the muffler at the back of your vehicle. Your car has equipment built in to minimize the amount of carbon emission. A Virginia emissions inspection checks your vehicle’s carbon emission levels to make sure they are meeting Virginia’s required levels. This emissions inspection is performed every other year.
Emissions Inspection Standards are set by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Emissions inspection cost is $28.
- Due every other year.
- Takes about 15 minutes to perform (Car older than 1996? It will take longer.)
If your car does not pass, we cannot do repairs on the spot—emissions repairs take some time to perform
- You will have 14 days to schedule repairs and be re-tested.
- There is no charge for your first re-test at the same location. If you go somewhere else, you will have to pay the full Virginia emissions inspection fee again.
Any Car. Any Reason. We’re the place for all your car needs
For more information on the Virginia State Inspection procedure and the 24-step inspection process, check out our Virginia State Inspections Guide and Checklist.
If your state inspection reveals some repairs that need to be made, we can do them for you. In fact, we go beyond what any dealer or competitor can offer. From tires to expert technicians to comfortable surroundings, we want to be your first and only choice for all your car needs.
We service all major automotive brands.
We service all major automotive brands including Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, RAM, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo.
We’re 100% committed to making sure you’re 100% satisfied. We’ve spent more than 40 years doing things the right way, and that’s why it’s part of our culture to make sure you’re in the most friendly, comfortable and honest environment possible. And it’s also why our warranty not only covers all our services but will also be honored at all our locations, too.
As of July 2019, you'll need to pay a little bit more for your Virginia State Inspection. Learn why here.
Before taking your vehicle for a Virginia State Inspection, we advise you to visually check the following items on your vehicle to save you time and hassle.
Learn about what goes into a Virginia car inspection and what you can do to prepare before your appointment.