Virginia State Inspection Check List
On any given day, millions of cars and light trucks operating in the United States are due for state inspections. Before taking your vehicle for a Virginia State Inspection, we advise you to visually check the following items on your vehicle to save you time and hassle.
1. Check the tread depth: You can use a penny as a measurement – if you can see Lincoln’s head, your tires are too low on tread and will most likely fail. Also, check for tire wear on the outside and inside of the tire. If you see wear on only one side, your car is probably out of alignment.
2. Check your lights: Inspect all the lights on your vehicle – headlights, backlights, reverse lights, marker lights, brake lights, turn signals and an often overlooked area: your tag light. If any of these lights are not working, your vehicle will not pass inspection. If you notice a condensation build up, this issue could cause you to fail as well.
3. Check your mirrors: Make sure your vehicle doesn’t have any cracked, chipped or missing mirrors.
4. Check your horn: Honk that horn and make sure it’s loud, with no muffled sound.
5. Check your windshield: Be sure your windshield is clear of any cracks or improperly placed stickers, your wipers are properly working, and the defroster is operating.
6. Check your dashboard for any warning lights: If you have a check engine light on, your vehicle will not pass inspection.
7. Listen for any unusual noises coming from within or under your car: if anything seems out of the ordinary, you may want to bring it in for a checkup.
Once you have visually examined these areas on your car, here is what you can expect the Virginia Tire State Inspection to consist of:
- Inspect the Brakes
- Inspect the Parking Brake
- Inspect the Vehicle Lights
- Inspect the Signal Devices
- Inspect Steering & Suspension
- Inspect the tires, wheels & rims
- Inspect the mirrors
- Inspect the horn
- Inspect the windshield
- Inspect the windshield wipers and defroster
If all items are approved, an Issue sticker will be given. If any issues are observed, they must be corrected and reinspected within 15 days.
Virginia Tire and Auto offers Virginia State Inspection at all 13 locations. To find a location close to you, click HERE
If you need an inspection, but don’t have the time in your day, try VTA Valet. VTA Valet will come to you with a loaner vehicle and take your car to the nearest Virginia Tire & Auto location for service.