From potholes to freezing temperatures, there is no doubt your vehicle took a beating this winter.
Finally, the snow has melted. The flowers are blooming. The birds are singing. Spring is in the air! As you clean out your closets and groom your gardens, don’t forget the importance of “thanking” your vehicle for its hard work this winter.
There are plenty of things you can do to help your vehicle get back to 100%. Follow these 10 tips to help ensure your car rolls smoothly into the season ahead.
· Look over your owner’s manual. Make sure you are following the recommended service schedules for your vehicle.
· Check your tires, including your spare. Measure their tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
· Test your battery. Winter can put a lot of stress on your battery. Make sure the connection is clean, tight & corrosion-free. Replace old or weak batteries to avoid expensive towing costs down the road.
· Examine your wipers. Check your windshield wipers for wear & cracks from the ice and snow. Replace worn blades so you can see clearly when driving during those Spring showers.
· Inspect suspension & alignment. Potholes can take a toll on your shocks and struts. An inspection to determine wear or leaks can alleviate bigger issues down the road. Also checking if your wheels are properly aligned after a season of tough conditions can help keep you moving in a safe direction.
· Top off fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
· Check the belts & hoses. The tightness and condition of belts, clamps, and hoses should be checked by a qualified auto technician.
· Inspect all lights and bulbs. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly & replace burned out bulbs.
· Test your HVAC system. Proper heating and cooling performance is critical for your comfort and for safety reasons such as defogging.
· Clean the interior & exterior. Take the time to de-clutter your car and wash away winter’s grime. It will leave you feeling as light and airy as the spring breeze. And losing the extra weight can significantly increase your gas mileage too!
Summer will be here before we know it! Follow these tips and you'll be well on your way to enjoying your road trip vacations headache-free. If you have any questions about your vehicle's maintenance requirements, give our expert technicians a call! We are here for all your car needs.