Disaster can strike at any moment, to anyone. Sometimes we forget how vulnerable our everyday routines truly are. It is important to be prepared in any sort of emergency, in order to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Putting together an emergency kit will give you a piece of mind, knowing you are ready in the event of a mishap. Your vehicle is one of the most important spaces you will want to stock with an emergency kit. Your car goes where you go, so it will more than likely be nearby in the case of disaster.
Pre-assembled kits are available to purchase, but by putting together one yourself, you can customize to your family’s needs. Everyone should consider including the following in their kit:
- Cell phone and car charger, with a list of emergency numbers
- Fire extinguisher
- Two roadside flares
- Quart of oil
- Small first aid kit
- Multipurpose tool or pocket knife
- Tire pressure gauge
- Tire inflator
- Duct tape
- Your car’s manual
- Pen and paper
- Help sign
- Jumper cables or a portable battery booster
- Gallon of antifreeze
- Extra fuses
- Extra flashlight batteries
- Basic tools: Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench
- Change of clothes and shoes for family members
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food item (think granola bars or nuts)
No matter how you decide to go about it, putting together an emergency kit for you car can only be beneficial in the event of disaster. Every family should be prepared. Don’t hesitate. Stock your vehicle now.